As our loved ones age, they may experience cognitive decline and eventually develop dementia. Unfortunately, dementia is a progressive disease that can significantly impact an individual’s ability to care for themselves. As a result, families often have to make difficult decisions regarding their loved one’s care. In some cases, emergency placement in a secure care facility may be necessary. In this article, we will explore what emergency placement for dementia patients entails, how to find a secure care facility, and what to expect during the process.
Understanding Emergency Placement for Dementia Patients
Emergency placement for dementia patients is a necessary step when a loved one’s health and safety are at risk. There are many reasons why emergency placement may be required, including a sudden change in behavior or physical health, wandering or aggression. In these situations, it may not be feasible to care for the individual at home or in a non-secure facility. Emergency placement is not a decision to be taken lightly, and it is important to consider all available options before proceeding.
Signs That Emergency Placement May Be Necessary
It can be difficult to determine when emergency placement for a dementia patient is required. However, the following signs may indicate that immediate action is necessary:
- Wandering and getting lost
- Aggressive behavior
- Difficulty sleeping or insomnia
- Malnourishment or dehydration
- Inability to perform daily living activities, such as bathing and dressing
If you notice any of these signs, it is important to seek medical advice and speak with a professional to determine the best course of action.
Finding a Secure Care Facility
Once it has been determined that emergency placement is necessary, the next step is to find a secure care facility that can provide the appropriate level of care for the individual. This can be a daunting task, but there are several resources available to assist you in your search.
Contacting Local Health Services
Local health services can be an excellent resource for finding secure care facilities in your area. They can provide you with a list of facilities and help you determine which ones meet your loved one’s needs.
The internet is an invaluable tool for finding secure care facilities. There are many websites dedicated to providing information about care facilities, including reviews and ratings from other families.
Recommendations From Friends and Family
If you have friends or family members who have gone through a similar experience, ask for their recommendations. They may be able to provide valuable insight and information that can help you make an informed decision.
What to Expect During the Emergency Placement Process
Once you have found a secure care facility that meets your loved one’s needs, the process of emergency placement can begin. The process typically involves the following steps:
The facility will conduct an assessment of your loved one to determine their level of care needs. This will include a physical exam, cognitive assessment, and a review of their medical history.
Once the assessment is complete, your loved one will be admitted to the facility. This may involve signing a contract and providing payment for services.
It is important to understand that the adjustment period can be difficult for both the individual and their family. The facility will work with you to ensure a smooth transition and provide support during this time.
After Emergency Placement
Once your loved one has been placed in a secure care facility, it is important to stay involved in their care. Regular communication with staff and visits can help ensure that your loved one is receiving the best care possible. Additionally, you may want to consider joining a support group for caregivers of individuals with dementia. These groups can provide valuable information, support, and a sense of community during a difficult time.
Preparing for Emergency Placement
While it is impossible to predict when emergency placement may be necessary, there are steps you can take to prepare for the possibility. These include:
Researching secure care facilities in your area
Creating a list of important documents, such as medical records and insurance information
Discussing emergency placement options with family members and loved ones
While it can be difficult to think about emergency placement, being prepared can help make the process smoother and less stressful if it becomes necessary.
Emergency placement for dementia patients is a difficult decision, but it may be necessary to ensure the health and safety of your loved one. Understanding the signs that emergency placement may be necessary, finding a secure care facility, and knowing what to expect during the process can help make the decision and transition smoother. With the right support, you and your loved one can navigate this difficult time successfully.
According to top Google reviews for 2023, the following are the best locations in Glendale, AZ, that provide memory care:
- The Montecito Senior Living: Located at 17271 N 87th Ave, Glendale, AZ 85308, The Montecito Senior Living offers top-notch memory care services. They have an experienced and compassionate team that provides personalized care to each resident. The facility features spacious apartments, beautifully landscaped grounds, and a wide range of amenities to enhance the residents’ quality of life. You can contact them at (623) 972-1400 or send an email to email@example.com.
- Avenir Memory Care at Peoria: Avenir Memory Care at Peoria is another highly-rated memory care facility in Glendale. They offer specialized care for seniors with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. The facility is designed to provide a comfortable and secure environment for residents, with features such as an enclosed courtyard, walking paths, and a beauty salon. Avenir Memory Care at Peoria is located at 9296 W Union Hills Dr, Peoria, AZ 85382. To learn more, you can call them at (623) 227-4093 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Enclave at Arrowhead: The Enclave at Arrowhead is a luxury senior living community that provides a full continuum of care, including memory care. Their memory care program, called Memory Lane, is designed to promote cognitive health, physical well-being, and social engagement. The facility features spacious apartments, a restaurant-style dining room, a fitness center, and a theater room. The Enclave at Arrowhead is located at 20240 N 78th Ave, Glendale, AZ 85308. You can contact them at (623) 235-6400 or email them at email@example.com.
- The Gardens of Sun City: The Gardens of Sun City is a family-owned and operated senior living community that offers a homelike environment for residents. They provide personalized memory care services that focus on maintaining the residents’ independence and dignity. The facility features private and semi-private rooms, a courtyard, and a beauty salon. The Gardens of Sun City is located at 17225 N Boswell Blvd, Sun City, AZ 85373. You can reach them at (623) 933-2222 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Olive Grove Retirement Community: Olive Grove Retirement Community is a pet-friendly senior living community that offers memory care services. They provide individualized care plans that cater to each resident’s unique needs and preferences. The facility features a library, a game room, and an outdoor courtyard. Olive Grove Retirement Community is located at 3014 E Indian School Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85016. You can contact them at (602) 840-2200 or email them at email@example.com.
These are just a few of the top-rated memory care facilities in Glendale, AZ. If you’re looking for quality memory care services for yourself or a loved one, these locations are definitely worth considering.